If you live in an old home, you should look for the proper insulation of the house. Right insulation means better comfortable and cozy environment inside the house. Proper insulation also results in lower energy bills. Proper building supply causes proper insulation of the house.
How to select insulation for your house?
- Check out the place where you need insulation. You need to add insulation at places like attics, basements and crawl spaces.
- Check out the R-value of the insulation required at your place.
- Check out the best insulation that suits your house.
- Determine the quantity of insulation.
- Check out whether the insulation you are looking for is a DIY project or professional hiring.
What are the factors that make proper insulation?
Certain factors should be kept in mind while deciding on the type of insulation you choose for your residential or commercial structure. Proper insulation results in better and lower energy bills. The factors that decide the insulation are:
- Higher R-value and heat transfer capability: A good insulating material has low thermal conductivity. The material which has a higher R-value is a better insulating material.
- Moisture resistance: A good insulation material has moisture resistance property and can withstand the issues like corrosion and moisture exposure.
- Durability: A good insulating material is durable and can last for many years keeping its affectivity intact.
- Easy to install: A good insulation should be easy to install and should have a low cost of installation by the professional.
- Strength: A good insulation material should have the strength and can withstand in areas like basement and attic where there are fluctuations of temperature and humidity.
- Easy installation and removal process: A proper insulation material should be easy to install and easy to remove and replace. Their cost of installation, removal, and replacement should be less.
- Cost of insulation: A good insulation should cost you low in terms of the product purchased, technician charges, labor charges, and installation process.
- Safety of the insulation: A good insulation material should be safe while using. They should not release or produce any toxic substances that are hazardous to health.
- Fireproof: A proper insulation can withstand the fire damage. This is important for the safety of the people and the structures.
What are the options available?
The most popular options available are fiberglass, cellulose, and foam. The location and R-value of the insulation material decide the type of insulation material used in your home or commercial structure.
In case, if you want to insulate wall spaces, holes or drywall of a completed wall, then use spray foam. With spray foam, you can fill the gap areas. Natural fiber insulation is using low toxic flame and insect retardants. Other building supply insulations include cork, recycled tissues, wood fiber or cellulose.